Skip to main content

The Disabled Children's Register

The register is a database of SEND children and young people aged 0-25 living in Barnsley. It is entirely voluntary to register – plus you can add, change or remove your details at any time.

Your child does not have to be on the register to receive services or support from health or social care.  

Joining the Register will not affect any services or benefits that you currently receive; it will also not guarantee your child any additional services or benefits.


What is it used for?

The register helps with planning and developing services for children and young people with SEND.

The register means we can update you on new groups; local services; SEND events; or how to respond to relevant public consultations. We can also inform families when Barnsley is having a SEND inspection, so you can get involved with the inspection process.   

We may also target information for you. During key transition periods in your child’s life – such as ‘preparing for adulthood’, we can signpost you to relevant services or information sessions.     

By registering on-line, you have the option to download a copy of your record.    

How we will send you information

We will only send you services and events as described above, it will not contain any identifiable data. We will do this via email, if you do not have access to an email address you will need to contact Barnsley Council’s Families Information Service - free phone 0800 0345 340 for registration options.

What happens to the information?

All information is held within the Open Objects datastore. Barnsley Council and Families Information Service supervise the information you provide. We shall ask for updated details at least every two years, so we can keep you up to date as your child grows. We will do this by email.  Therefore, please keep your record up to date with your current email/home address.

We only share statistical data with other government funded departments, to help them plan for services.  We will not give out any identifiable data.    

Who can fill in the application form to register?

Parents or carers of a child with SEND can enrol onto the register. A separate form is needed for each SEND child within the family. If the young person wishes to receive information directly, please put their email and tick the appropriate box on the form. 

What happens if I no longer wish to be on the Register or my Child reaches 25?

If you'd like your child's details removed from the Register, you can select to either update, download or remove the record from the register.

When your child reaches 25, we will remove their registration details. We undertake this on a termly basis by running a report and notifying via email that we will be removing the record. 

Your Privacy

The information will be kept by Barnsley Council on a secure computer database under the terms of the Data Protection Act. The information you provide will only be seen by a small number of staff members in the Families Information Service who manage and maintain the datastore.   

Privacy Notice:

How do I register?

Registering is a 2 step process:

Step 1: Create a Family Services Directory (FSD) account. This allows you to access your account easily and make any changes to your information. This really helps us keep in touch because we will always have your latest email and other details.

Step 2: Once you have a login for the FSD you can then register for the Disabled Childrens Register. Use the tab at the bottom of the disabled children's register  on the local offer site. This will log you in and then take you to a form where you can record you and your childs relevant details.

Once you have registered for both you can login to change your details whenever you like.

You can find a guide to the process here.

Sign in to request access/update your Disabled Child Record
Please note that in order to join the register, you will first need to create an FSD account on the website
rating button