The Barnsley SENDIASS Service offers free confidential and impartial:;Information, Guidance, Advice and Support.
It is for all children, young people, parents and carers of children who; have a Special Educational Need (SEN); Are between the age 0-25 years and; and Live in the borough of Barnsley.
Parents and carers of children and young people are encouraged to refer themselves to this service. However, they can also give consent to professionals they are working with to contact the service for them.
- To help you play a valued and active role in your own, or your child’s, education;
- To enable you to make informed choices;
- To encourage and support joint working between you, the school or setting, the council and other agencies.
For further information, please see our website:
You can also call 01226 787234 or email SENDIASS@barnsley.gov.uk.
- The opportunity for you to talk things through and say what your concerns are.
- Support when writing letters to school, early years and post-16 settings, and the local authority;
- Help with statutory assessments and the education, health and care plan process;
- Advice or issues around school or setting placement;
- Support at meetings;
- Advice on who you should contact if there are behavioural, emotional or social difficulties;
- Information on appeals to SEND (Special Educational Needs and Disability) tribunal;
- Advice on exclusions;
- Advice on transport arrangements;
- Information about other organisations that might be helpful to you.
We can arrange to meet you at a venue you prefer or also offer meeting sessions in our offices around the borough.
Please contact us to book an appointment so that we can make sure we have time to talk with you.
- Workshops for young people and parents and carer;
- Drop-in advice sessions for young people, parents and carers at schools, colleges and children's or family centres;
- Advice and support on starting support groups;
- Training to become an independent supporter.
Please contact us to discuss more about the services we can offer.