Skip to main content

Education Health and Care Plans

In this section you will find out about EHC plans. 

What is an Education, Health and Care Plan?

An Education, Health and Care plan, sometimes known as an EHC plan, is a legal document which describes a child or young person’s (aged up to 25 years) special educational needs, the support they need, and the outcomes they would like to achieve.


The special educational provision described in an EHC plan must be provided by the child or young person’s local authority. This means an EHC plan can give a child or young person extra educational support. It can also give parents and young people more choice about which school or other setting the child or young person can attend.


An EHC plan can only be issued after a child or young person has gone through the process of an Education, Health and Care needs assessment.


How do I apply for an Education, Health and Care needs assessment?

If you feel that you or your child may have special educational needs and might need extra support, it can seem really daunting. The first step is to talk to your child’s class teacher if you have worries about school. 


If it’s a health worry then talk to your GP, or another health care professional, who is helping you or your child.


Often the school or setting will be able to meet your/their special needs. They’ll offer you/your child special educational provision (SEN support). This may be additional support in class, small group sessions, extra resources or learning in different ways to other children of your/their age. The setting will always ask you for your views when they’re planning, monitoring and reviewing your/ your child’s special educational needs.


Sometimes, the reviews may show you or your child will need more support.


If this is the case, you, or the setting, can ask for an EHC needs assessment. This can be done on the EHC Hub  . By clicking ‘request assessment’, under the ‘log on’ button, you can request an assessment without logging on. 


Most education settings will already have a ‘log on’ and be familiar with the process, so it is worth discussing it with them first and they will help you to complete the assessment. If you/they are not attending an education setting and cannot use the EHC Hub, please telephone the EHC Team and they will be able to help you. There is an electronic version of the application form in the panel on the right hand side.

What the school needs to do to support the assessment.

The SENDCO is the person in school  responsible for special educational needs. They should ensure a detailed application is completed and uploaded on to the EHC Hub. This must highlight a child or young person’s needs. It should include details of the provision in place and the impact against  your child’s progress. The more relevant information submitted at this stage will mean a robust decision can be made.

What is the EHC Hub?

The EHC Hub is the council’s online system that manages new EHC assessments and legal processes for children and young people who have an EHC plan.

It provides secure access to anyone who needs to be able to contribute and view information.

 If you make an account on the EHC Hub, it lets you:

  • See which professionals have been contacted  and what information they have shared.
  • Add important information about you or your child.
  • See the timelines that show when actions need to be completed and
  • Record messages for your EHC Coordinator.

On the  EHC Hub you can include as much information as you like: you can upload:

  • documents,
  • examples of work,
  • photos, and
  •  short video clips. 
  • Please include your NHS number as this helps  health professionals  access your details quickly when a request for information is sent from the EHC Hub.

You can get support with completing this information from

  • Your child’s setting,
  •  The EHC Team
  • SENDIASS the independent information, advice, and support service 
  • The Library Service offers access to computers, digital training, and free printing at many local libraries if you need support accessing the Hub.


 a guide for using the EHC Hub will be added to this page soon.  In the meantime, please see the guidance videos for parents/carers and young people by clicking on the links below:

Who are the EHC Team?

The EHC Team manage the process of anything related to new requests or annual reviews. They collate, gather and organise information in line with the statutory timeframes. They are not an ‘SEN Team’ or advice givers but can signpost in the right direction of those professionals if needed.


The EHC Team keep children, young people and their families at the centre of what we do. The team adopt a person-centred approach. This ensures that children, young people and parents are involved throughout the planning and decision-making process.



You will be allocated an EHC Coordinator depending on which school you /your child attends. If you/ your child changes settings, then it is likely you will be allocated a new EHC Coordinator. Your dedicated EHC Coordinator will act as a guide through the EHC processes. However, you can contact any member of the EHC Service for support.


The EHC Team also has Assistant EHC Coordinators who support the EHC Coordinators in managing the process and EHC Senior Coordinators who also support the EHC Coordinators.


A full list of EHC Coordinators and the settings they coordinate with can be found in the ‘Who is my EHC Coordinator?’ tab.

How long will it take to get an EHC Plan?

The whole process will take a maximum of 20 weeks.


Week 1


The application is received by the EHC Assistant Coordinators. They will review the information received and may ask for further information if it is missing. They will then submit the application to the next multi-agency panel to make a decision.


By Week 6


The multi-agency panel meets and decides whether to agree to carry out the Needs Assessment.


Weeks 6-16


Following the decision to carry out a Needs Assessment, your EHC Coordinator will give you a call to introduce themselves. They will explain the process, what happens next and discuss suitable methods of contact. They will coordinate the needs assessment by gathering information provided from all professionals. If you log on to the EHC Hub, you will see the information provided as it is received.


By Week 16


The EHC Coordinator must ensure the information is added to the multi-agency panel to discuss whether the reports indicate that an EHC Plan is needed to support you or your child in meeting their outcomes or whether it is felt that the school can continue to meet your/ your child’s needs at SEN Support level.  Your EHC Coordinator will share the decision with you and explain the next steps in the process.


By Week 18


If agreed, your EHC coordinator will put all the information gathered as part of the needs assessment into an EHC plan. They will share a Draft version the plan with so you can suggest any changes and share your views. The Draft EHC Plan will be used to consult with the setting you or your child wish to attend. ‘Consult’ means that we have to check with the setting that they can meet your needs and are able to deliver everything in the EHC plan. The EHC plan is a legal  document and the provision in it must be delivered.


By Week 20


The final EHC plan is issued, naming the school/setting that you/ your child are to attend. The plan will be reviewed within 12 months of the issue date. If you do not agree with the content of the EHC plan, you have the right to mediation and tribunal to discuss this further. The EHC Coordinator can explain this process and what to do next.


Who is my EHC Coordinator?

EHC Coordinators are allocated by the setting you or your child attends. Please see the list below for direct contact emails for each EHC Coordinator and the schools they coordinate with.


Ellen Rich

Contact Email:

All Saints Academy Darfield, Birdwell Primary School, Birkwood Primary School,  Brierley Church of England Voluntary Controlled Primary School, Chatterbox Children's Academy, Cherry Dale Primary School, Cudworth Churchfield Primary School, Darfield Family Centre, Grimethorpe Family Centre, High View Primary Learning Centre, Kings Oak Primary Learning Centre, Ladywood Primary School, Little Ducklings, Milefield Primary School, Outwood Academy Shafton, Outwood Primary Academy Darfield, Sandhill Primary School, Shafton Primary Academy, Sidcop Road Nursery, St Michael and All Angels Catholic Primary School, The Ellis Church of England (Voluntary Aided) Primary School, The Mill Academy, Upperwood Academy, Ward Green Primary School, Wombwell Park Street Primary School


Lisa Holmes

Contact Email:

Barugh Green Primary School, Cawthorne Church of England Voluntary Controlled Primary School, Daisy Chain Nursery, Darton Primary School, Dodworth St John the Baptist CofE Primary Academy, Gawber Primary School, Holy Rood Catholic Primary School, Hoylandswaine Primary School, Joseph Locke Primary School, Keresforth Primary School, Kexborough Primary School, Little Freddies Nursery School, Mapplewell Primary School, Millhouse Primary School, Oxspring Primary School, Penistone St John's Voluntary Aided Primary School, Shawlands Primary School, Silkstone Common Junior and Infant School, Silkstone Primary School, Springvale Primary School, St Mary's Church of England Primary School, Barnsley, Summer Lane Primary School, Tankersley St Peter's CofE (Aided) Primary School, Thurgoland Church of England (Voluntary Controlled) Primary School, Thurlstone Primary School, Wellgate Primary School, Wilthorpe Primary School, Worsbrough Bank End Primary School, Worsbrough Common Primary School,  

Sue Yardley

Contact Email:

Carrfield Primary Academy, Dearne Family Centre, Elective Education at Home (primary), Elsecar Holy Trinity CofE Primary Academy, Goldthorpe Primary Academy, Gooseacre Primary Academy, Greenfield Primary School, Heather Garth Primary School Academy, Highgate Primary Academy, Hoyland Common Primary School, Hoyland Springwood Primary School, Hoyland Springwood Specialist HUB, Jump Primary School, Kids World Goldthorpe, Lacewood Primary School, Little Explorers Community Nursery, Oakhill Primary School, Rainbow Day Care Hoyland, Sacred Heart Catholic Primary School, St Helen's Catholic Primary School, The Hill Primary Academy, Tots2Teens Daycare, West Meadows Primary School

Amy Joyner 

Contact Email:

Athersley Family Centre, Athersley North Primary School, Athersley South Primary School, Burton Road Primary School, Carlton Primary Academy, Holy Trinity Catholic and Church of England School (primary), Hunningley Primary School, Laithes Primary School, Lime Tree Nursery, Little Jo's Day Nursery, Meadstead Primary Academy, Oakwell Rise Primary Academy, Outwood Primary Academy Littleworth Grange, Parkside Primary Academy, Queens Road Academy, Royston St John Baptist CE Primary, St Helen's Primary Academy, St Joseph's Nursery, ST Martins Day Nursery, Summerfields Primary Academy, The Forest Academy, Wise Owl Nursery And Pre School Ltd


Sarah Ingamells


Penistone Grammar School, Penistone Heartspace and Darton Academy


Harriet Sinclair

Contact Email:

Outwood Academy Carlton and Holy Trinity Catholic and Church of England School (Secondary Only)


Laura Purdy

Contact Email:

Barnsley Academy, Outwood Academy Shafton, Kirk Balk Academy, Netherwood Academy, Horizon Community College, The Dearne Academy


Tracey Rosling

Contact Email:

Barnsley College


Cheryl Cooper-Jones

Contact Email:

Springwell Special Academy – Lower School

Greenacre School – Lower School


Claire Richardson

Contact Email:

Springwell Special Academy – Upper School

Greenacre School – Upper School


Jackie Dixon

Contact Email:

Abbey School, Abbeywood School, Barnsley Football Club, Elective Education at Home (Secondary),  Dove School, Hilltop School, Kelford School, Newman School, RNN Group, Park House School ,Saint Pius X Catholic High School A Specialist School in Humanities, Swinton Academy, Swinton Queen Primary School, The Robert Ogden School, Milton School, Wath Academy, Aston Fence Junior and Infant School, Leslie Frances (Hair Fashions) Limited, The Willows School, West Melton Junior and Infant School, Wingfield Academy, Yorkshire Educational Tutoring (YET)


Lauren Curtis

Contact Email:

Ackworth School, Acorns School, Askham Bryan College, Bader Academy, Becton School, Birdsedge First School, Bladon House School, Bradfield School, Brampton Cortonwood Infant School, Brantwood Specialist School, Broadwood School, Cambian Chesham House School, Castle Hill: A Specialist College for Communication and Interaction, Chapeltown Academy, Communication Specialist College -  Doncaster, Dawn House School, Denby Dale First and Nursery School, Denby Grange School, Doncaster College, Doncaster School for the Deaf, Ecclesfield Primary School, Elite Training Systems (UK) Ltd, First Class Tailored Solutions, Freeman College, Hall Cliffe Primary School, Hall Cliffe School, Heatherwood School, Henshaws College, Highfield School, Hill Top School, Holgate Meadows School, Honley High School, Joseph Norton Academy, Kettlethorpe High School, King Ecgbert School, Kingsland Primary School, Kirklees College, Leatherhead Trinity School and Nursery, Leeds City College, Meadowcroft School, Minsthorpe Community College, A Specialist Science College, New College Doncaster, New College Pontefract, Nisai Virtual Academy Ltd, North Bridge Enterprise College, Notre Dame High School, Oaklands School, Oakwood Learning Centre, Options Barton School, Outwood Academy Hemsworth, Paces High Green School for Conductive Education, Pennine Camphill Community, Pennine View School, Portland College, Ridgewood School, South Hiendley Primary School, Southgate School, Springwell Leeds Academy, St Thomas à Becket Catholic Secondary School, A Voluntary Academy, Talbot Specialist School, The Grange School, The Really Neet Project Ltd (College), The Sheffield College, Wakefield College, Wakefield Snapethorpe Primary School, West Bretton Junior and Infant School, William Henry Smith School,


The Annual review process.


A review of the EHC plan must be carried out every year. They will focus on your/your child’s progress towards achieving the outcomes in the EHC Plan and whether these outcomes still remain appropriate.


The local authority delegate the responsibility of organising the annual review meeting to the school or setting. They must give you at least 2 weeks’ notice before the meeting is to take place and also must share any information or reports with you at least two weeks before the meeting. The annual review process is managed on the EHC Hub: you can log in to view all the information shared, discussed, reviewed and to contribute your views at any time.  If you electively home educate your child, the annual review meeting will be organised by your EHC Coordinator.


Following the annual review meeting, the local authority must make the decision whether to maintain (keep it as it is) amend (make some changes to) or cease your /your child’s EHC plan. Your EHC Coordinator will share this decision with you and explain what happens next.


What is a Personal Budget


A personal budget is an amount of money allocated by the council to deliver all or some of the services and support set out in your/ your child’s Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan.


It gives you more choice and control over the services that your child gets.

A child or a young person may have a personal budget from:

  • health 
  • social care 
  • education 


Personal Education Budget

We will consider identifying a personal budget for educational provision if you request it when we issue a draft EHC plan following an EHC needs assessment or when we are reviewing an EHC plan. The personal budget should be linked to the provision and outcomes stated in the EHC Plan or Draft EHC Plan.


The request is to be considered at the multi-agency ORG Panel. If the local authority does not agree to a Personal Budget they must set out their reasons in writing.


In certain circumstances, the panel can refuse to identify a personal budget. They may do so when the special educational provision is being provided as part of a larger budget (for example, a contract with the NHS to provide all speech and language therapy or occupational therapy) and the panel cannot separate out or ‘disaggregate’ the personal budget from that overall larger budget. The panel also have to consider if it would be an efficient use of the local authority’s resources.


Section J (Personal Budgets) of the EHC Plan should provide a detailed explanation of how a personal budget will be used to deliver agreed provision, the needs and outcomes it will meet, and will explain how the money will be used, spent and managed including arrangements in relation to any direct payments.



Personal Health Budget

Continuing Health Care Criteria are applied to see if you can have a personalised health budget. The decision support tool (DST) will help with this. For more information please contact a health officer e.g. health visitor, school nurse, designated clinical officer, etc.


Short Breaks and Personal Care Budget

Access to short breaks is based on short breaks eligibility criteria. Please contact your social worker or the Disabled Children’s Team on 01226 774050 for further information.

EHC Team Contact information

EHC Team Contact Information

Please feel free to get in touch with us if you have an EHC question or a query and we will be more than happy to support. We aim to resolve your queries immediately but if this is not possible, we operate a 3 working day response deadline. 


Our telephone number is: 01226 773966


Our team email is:


The EHC phone lines are operable between 9am-5pm Monday to Thursday and 9am and 4:30pm on Fridays.


Please note that due to the current climate, the team are working from home at the moment.


How can I make a complaint?

Customer complaints are really important to us and provide us with an opportunity to learn from and improve our services to you.


If you would like to make a complaint against the Local Authority then you will need to this formally with the customer service team. You can find out more information by clicking here. We advise that you contact the EHC Team before doing so and we will always endeavour to assist or resolve if able.


If you would like to make a complaint against your school. You will need to do this be following the school’s complaint procedures. Again, we would advise that you speak to your SENDCO before doing so.


You can appeal to the Special Educational Needs and Disability Tribunal (SENDIST) if you disagree with a decision your local authority has made about an Education, Health and Care Plan. You can find out about it by clicking here. 


You must consider mediation before you appeal to the tribunal. Mediation is a less formal way of working out a solution to your problem. A mediation adviser will explain how mediation works. If you want to go ahead, they’ll bring you and your local authority together to discuss the problem. At the end they’ll give you a mediation certificate, which you’ll need if you still want to appeal. If you do not want mediation you still need to contact the mediation service to get a mediation certificate so that you can appeal. Barnsley’s Mediation Service is provided by Collis Mediation Ltd. They will ensure that impartial and independent mediatory advice is provided and can be contacted on 07715 958 290 or


The Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Information, Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS) offers free, confidential and impartial information, guidance, advice and support. They will help you to make a complaint or support you in your decision making. You can call them on (01226) 787234.

Watch this space for the latest news and events
rating button