Multi-systemic Therapy Team (MST team)
What is MST?
MST is an intensive way of working with families and works to support parents/ carers and other family members to develop and sustain strategies to improve their child’s behaviour at home. To prevent children going into care or custody, to attend and behave well in an education or employment setting and out in the community.
Where is MST based?
MST is a home based treatment and works with the young person, family members, teachers, friends and other people in the family’s world. MST works intensively with families for three to five months, including providing on call support 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Typically a family will have 2-4 contacts per week for the duration of treatment. MST is based on many years of research into what works for families. Therapists use approaches, such as behavioural therapy, cognitive behavioural therapy and structured family therapy to work with young people and their families.
What do MST Practitioners do?
- Work intensively with parents or carers to give them the tools and resources to manage the young person’s behaviours;
- Prevent children going into care or going to custody
- Increase young people’s engagement with and success in education and training;
- Promote positive activities for the primary caregivers and young person
- Reduce young people’s offending and/or anti-social behaviour;
- Improve family relationships
- Tackle underlying problems in the young person or primary care givers.
MST is an evidenced based intervention that is validated by research into its effectiveness. Barnsley MST is provided by Barnsley MBC and is licenced by MST UK, on behalf of MST Services in the US.
Who to contact
- Contact Name
- MST team
- 01226 774989
Where to go
Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council, Gateway Plaza
- S70 2RD