Skip to main content

Raising a complaint or concern about support for a child or young person with SEND in school.

It is important to us that children are getting the support they need so we encourage parents and carers to discuss concerns or raise complaints, so that these  can be addressed.

 How do I raise the concern or complaint?

1: The first step is to talk to the school’s or setting’s Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO)

2: If you feel your concern or complaint has not been resolved you can then follow the school’s formal complaints procedure.

You will usually have to put your complaint in writing to the school.

If you are not happy with how the Headteacher or staff at the school have dealt with your complaint, the next step will be to take your complaint to the governors of the school, or to the trust of the school if the school is an academy. 

The specific steps of the complaints process for your child’s school will be set out in the school’s own complaints policy, which you should be able to find on the school website. All schools are required to have a complaints procedure.

For more detailed information 'Complaints about schools'. Click on the link below:

I’m still not satisfied with how the school has handled my concern or complaint.

If you have followed the school’s complaints procedure and you are still concerned about the SEN support your child is getting, you can complain to the local authority.  

Click to be taken directly to the Compliments, Complaints and suggestions online form:

What happens then?

When the local authority receives a complaint about SEN support the next steps will depend on whether or not your child has a statement of special educational needs / Education, Health and Care Plan.

My child does have a statement of special educational needs / an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP)

If your child has a statement of special educational needs or an EHCP the authority has a particular responsibility to ensure the support set out in the statement or plan is being provided.  

We will investigate your complaint and review the provision and support in place for your child, and particularly whether or not it reflects what is in your child’s statement or education, health and care plan.

Who to contact

Contact Name
Customer Services Feedback and Improvement Team

Where to go

Customer Feedback and Improvement Team
PO Box 679
S70 9GG
Last updated on 03/03/2021
rating button