Barnsley SENDIASS (Special Educational Needs and Disabilities, Information, Advice and Support Service)
Barnsley SENDIASS offers free, confidential and impartial; information, guidance, advice and support to all parents and carers who have children or young-people who:
- have a Special Educational Need (SEN) or Disability
- are between the age 0-25 years
- live in the borough of Barnsley
The service will also support young-people from the age of 16 who have SEND.
Barnsley SENDIASS will:
- help you play a valued and active role in your own or your child’s education
- enable you to make informed choices
- encourage and support joint working between you, the school/setting, the council and other agencies
Services we can offer you:
- the opportunity for you to talk things through and say what your concerns are
- support when writing letters to school, early years and post-16 settings and the local authority
- help with Statutory Assessment and Education, Health and Care Plan process
- advice or issues around school/setting placement
- support at meetings regarding SEND
- advice on who you should contact if there are behavioural, emotional or social difficulties
- support with dispute resolution, mediation and appeals to the SEND tribunal
- advise and support with issues relating to disability discrimination
- advice and support regarding children missing education, including exclusion
- advice on transport arrangements, such as SEND free home-to-school transport arrangements
- information about other organisations that might be helpful to you
Services we can offer groups
- workshops for young people and parents and carers
- drop-in advice sessions for young people and parents and carers at schools, colleges and children’s/family centres
- advice and support on starting support groups
- training to become an independent supporter
We can arrange to meet you at a venue you prefer but we can also offer meeting sessions in our offices (Gateway Plaza) and around the borough.
Who to contact
Where to go
- Barnsley SENDIASS
Gateway Plaza, People Directorate
PO Box 634
- S70 9GG
The service does attend and support at meetings in settings such as nurseries, schools and colleges. The service will also attend meetings held at Council offices (such as Gateway Plaza) and the Town Hall.
- Free for all
- Referral required
- Referral Details
Please contact Barnsley SENDIASS directly, by phone, by email or by Facebook.
As Barnsley SENDIASS is a parent/carer-led, impartial and confidential service, it will not take direct referrals from professionals. If you are working with a family who you believe would benefit from the service's support, please encourage them to contact the service directly. If you believe they might be reluctant to do so, contact the service and we can advise how to refer.