Sibling Support Service - Barnardo's
Provides support and information to the brothers and sisters (siblings) of disabled children, children with a condition or life limiting illness who live in the Barnsley area.
Why some siblings need support...
The experience of having a brother or sister with a disability can be rewarding and positive. It can also be difficult for siblings who may struggle with:
- Feeling that parents don’t pay them enough attention and feeling ‘second best’
- Worrying about their brother or sister’s health
- Not understanding the disability or condition
- Coping with difficult and challenging behaviour from their brother or sister
- Difficulties expressing and managing strong feelings such as guilt, anger and isolation
- Being bullied or teased
- Disturbed sleep
- Difficulties with school work
We work together with children and young people to help them create positive changes to the challenges they face.
The weekly sibling group provides the following;
- Help to understand they are not on their own.
- Help them to undertand the disabilty or condition of their sibling.
- Help them to develop ways to cope with how they feel.
- Help them to learn new ways of managing difficult feelings better.
- Make positive relationships.
- Celebrate the positives within the sibling relationship.
- HAVE FUN !!
Group sessions are run once a week for 10 weeks. The group is held on a Monday evening between 4-6pm.
Transport may be provided.
Who to contact
Where to go
- Barnardo's Priory Family Centre
- S71 5PN