Barnsley Sibling Support Service - Barnardo's
Provides support and information to the brothers and sisters (siblings) of disabled children, children with a condition or life limiting illness who live in the Barnsley area.
Why some siblings need support...
The experience of having a brother or sister with a disability can be rewarding and positive. It can also be difficult for siblings who may struggle with:
- Feeling that parents don’t pay them enough attention and feeling ‘second best’
- Worrying about their brother or sister’s health
- Not understanding the disability or condition
- Coping with difficult and challenging behaviour from their brother or sister
- Difficulties expressing and managing strong feelings such as guilt, anger and isolation
- Being bullied or teased
- Disturbed sleep
- Difficulties with school work
We work together with children and young people to help them create positive changes to the challenges they face.
The weekly sibling group provides the following;
- Help to understand they are not on their own.
- Help them to undertand the disabilty or condition of their sibling.
- Help them to develop ways to cope with how they feel.
- Help them to learn new ways of managing difficult feelings better.
- Make positive relationships.
- Celebrate the positives within the sibling relationship.
- HAVE FUN !!
Group sessions are run once a week for 10 weeks. The group is held on a Monday evening between 4-6pm.
Transport may be provided.
Who to contact
Where to go
- Barnardo's Priory Family Centre
- S71 5PN
Carole Aldam - 01226 770619
Children and young people aged from 8 to 17 who have a sibling with a disability can use the Service.
A referral is required. Referrals can be made by the family or a professional. Referral forms are available from the Service.
The Service is fully equipped for all disabled children and young people. The building has full wheelchair access.
The Service follows the Sibs UK programme.
- Contact Name
- Susan Barnett
- Contact Telephone
- 01226 770619
- Contact Email