Gracie Barra Barnsley Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu & Self Defence
At Gracie Barra America we strive to help students get the most out of their training. For students with consistency and dedication, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu becomes a life-style and students can readily enjoy all the benefits of the Jiu-Jitsu or the "Gentle Art".
Working from the assumption that Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu must be embraced as a lifelong journey, Master Carlos Gracie Jr. has designed an effective learning plan or program of study that allows for students to naturally progress from the white belt to the black belt. Thus, classes and their respective curriculum at Gracie Barra America are not isolated from one another, but elements of a larger structured learning plan called Programs
Curriculums: Set of coordinated techniques organized in the best possible way to facilitate students’ learning processes. All Gracie Barra curriculums are 16 weeks;
- Pre-requisite: The minimum level a student must possess or have accomplished in order to enroll in a specific program;
- Class: The defined period of time during which the student learns the techniques that comprise the curricula using several different training methods or appropriate instructional techniques;
- Training Methods: Specific drills and training practices designed to convert the knowledge represented in the curricula and taught by the instructor into knowledge and skills, insuring that the student is able to apply their knowledge and techniques under real circumstances (or under authentic conditions);
- Minimum Attendance: minimum attendance required from the student so him or her can progress and be updated with the GB Curriculums;
- Belt System: Hierarchical rank structure designed to represent students’ progress, according to their own potential. The International Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation (IBJJF) ranking system is used for all Gracie Barra Programs.
All Gracie Barra students have the dream of becoming a black belt. However, this is not an easy goal and a lot of consistency and dedication is required. To fulfill the promise of facilitating students’ learning, Gracie Barra Programs are structured logically to keep students motivated to learn, practice and perform.
A typical Gracie Barra student starts with an introductory class, where he or she will learn the overall self-defense strategy of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and afterwards enroll in the Gracie Barra Fundamentals Program. After four (4) months of training and learning all the techniques comprising the Fundamental’s curriculum, the student will be recommended to join the Gracie Barra Advanced Program. With eight (8) months of training and experience, the student will have the maturity level and enough knowledge to enroll on the Gracie Barra Black Belt Program. It is in the Gracie Barra Black Belt Program where he or she will be exposed to all kinds of training dynamics, including MMA, BJJ No-Gi and high level BJJ-Gi, so that the student develops his or her own Jiu-Jitsu game, strategy and technique(s).
Future Champions Program
What does it take to be a champion? Can a martial art support a parent’s instruction
To excel in any endeavor, individuals need to have a strong set of values and a solid character that gives them perseverance to achieve his or her goals. The Gracie Barra Future Champions Program was created to provide children ages 3-15 with an environment that allows them to experience and understand core values like focus, discipline, persistence, cooperation and respect.
As a contact sport, Gracie Barra Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu provides a very challenging yet safe and caring environment for a child to mature towards a real life champion.The outcome of continued childhood practice of GB BJJ goes far beyond the accomplishments on the mats. The discipline and excellence demanded by our instructors often carries over to the child’s behavior at home and at school.
Our Future Champions Program is typically subdivided in three different groups to accommodate students of different ages and skill levels:
- Little Champions I (3-6 years old),
- Little Champions II (7-9 Years Old),
- Juniors & Teens (10-14 years old).
Please contact the group for more information on sessions and times.
Who to contact
Where to go
Gracie Barra Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, 9 Woodmoor Court
- S71 3HT