Looking for Barnsley Primary Schools information for children with a special educational need and/or disability (SEND)?
Choosing the right education for your child can be a very stressful time. There are different options and support available to help you to make an informed choice. Children with SEND can have their needs met in mainstream schools as well as specialist schools. The Equality Act 2010 prohibits any school from discriminating against disabled children in respect of admissions. Please follow the link for more information on the Equality Act 2010: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/equality-act-2010-guidance
Information that Schools have to help you to make an informed choice
The SEND Code of Practice requires all schools to provide key information about their arrangements for identifying, assessing and making provision for pupils with SEND. Schools provide these in their SEND information report and policy. This is to help parents and carers make an informed choice about which school could best meet their child’s needs.
This will include information about:
- the arrangements for the admission of pupils with SEND
- the steps taken to prevent pupils with SEND from being treated less favorably than other pupils
- the facilities provided to assist access for pupils with SEND and the schools accessibility plans.
You should find answers to questions such as:
- What should I do if I think my child may have a special educational need?
- How will the school support my child?
- How will my child’s learning and progress be monitored?
- What is the role of the SENCO (Special Educational Needs Coordinator)?
- What specific training will staff have around SEND?
To find out more about the Code of Practice please click the following link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/send-code-of-practice-0-to-25
Help to find schools SEND information
To help you to find SEND information for Barnsley’s Primary Schools you can use the useful downloads to the right hand side of this page:
- Underneath useful downloads you will see a link highlighted in red ‘Primary School List’
- Click this link it will take you to a spreadsheet that you can download with all the primary schools in Barnsley on it.
- The name of each school is highlighted in blue, click this to take you direct to the schools SEND information.
- You can also search the spreadsheet;
- by ward area
- council area
5. On the title bar of each column of the spreadsheet you will see an arrow to the top right, if you click this it will give you a list of options to filter the spreadsheet in order to carry out a specific search.
For help finding the best school for your child you can visit:
https://www.goodschoolsguide.co.uk/ which gives unbiased reviews of schools. You can search by school name, town /city or postcode. You will be given the schools contact details as well as the link to their OFSTED reports.
To compare schools performance, including exam results visit:
https://www.gov.uk/school-performance-tables you can search by school name, postcode, town or street. Once you have found the school you are looking for you will then be given lots of performance information to review, including exam and test results, finance and absence information, this can all be downloaded.