Skip to main content

Benefits and Financial Support for children with SEND

This section includes information about Benefits and Financial support that may be available to you as a parent of a child with SEND. 

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for Children under 16 years old

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is money for children who need extra care or struggle getting around or both.

If you’re the parent of a child with SEND, the Disability Living Allowance (DLA) may help with the extra costs if your child:

  • is under 16
  • has difficulties walking or needs extra care

How do I apply?

You can apply using the forms on the site here.

You can also find a copy of the application form in the "Download" box to the right of this page.

Contact details

If you need help with the application or more details, please use the contact details below:

DLA Helpline - 0800 121 4600

Barnsley Citizen's Advice Bureau - 03444 111444

Contact for Families with Disabled Children - 0808 8083555

This is a useful short clip with further information:

Family Fund

Family Fund is a national charity that provides grants to families struggling with the costs of raising a child with SEND. They can give grants for a wide range of things, like: washing machines, sensory toys, family breaks, bedding, tablets, furniture, outdoor play equipment, clothing and computers.

How do I apply?

For all the information about how to apply, whether you’ll be entitled and more, please use the link below to the Family Fund website.

Family Fund

Contact details

Phone - 01904 550055

Personal Independence Payment - Young people 16+

If you are over 16 and have a disability that gives you difficulties with day-to-day life, you may be entitled to Personal Independence Payment (PIP).

It’s a weekly payment that can help you with some of the extra costs of having long term ill-health or a disability.

How do I apply?

You or someone on your behalf will need to ring the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) to apply for a Personal Independence Payment.

All the information you’ll need about Personal Independence Payments can be found here.

Contact details

Telephone: 0800 917 2222
Textphone: 0800 917 7777

NGT text relay (if you cannot hear or speak on the phone): 18001 then 0800 917 2222

Video relay service for British Sign Language (BSL) users - check you can use the service

Monday to Friday, 8am to 7.30pm

Carers Allowance

If you care for someone for at least 35 hours a week, you could be entitled to £66.15 per week from the Carers Allowance.

How do I apply?

You can make a claim online through the website here. All the further details such as eligibility and how it might affect other benefits can also be found on the website.

Disabled Facilities Grants

If you or someone in your home has a disability and needs help to stay in their home or live independently, you could be entitled to support from Disabled Facilities Grants.

It can be used to cover the costs of any needed changes, such as stair lifts and ramps.

How do I apply?

You will need to have an assessment to work out what you need. If they decide you need major adaptations you can then apply for the grant.

Please click here to request an assessment.

Contact details

Equipment and adaptations service: (01226) 775800

Text phone: 07825 454888 (for BSL users)

Motability Grants

Motability is a national charity that helps disabled people with their mobility and access to transport.

They provide grants which can help with:

  • The cost of a car, making it wheelchair accessible, or any adaptations.
  • The cost of driving lessons.
  • The cost of a Drive-from-Wheelchair vehicle.

 How do I apply?

To apply and see the full range of grants, please click here to go to their website. All the information about grants and Motability as a whole can be found there.

Contact details

Motability: 01279 635999

Charitable Grants: 0800 500 3186

Disability Access fund

Disability Access Fund (DAF)

The DAF is for 3 and 4 year olds who receive child Disability Living Allowance and who are receiving the free Early Education Fund entitlement.

DAF is paid to the child’s early years setting as a fixed annual rate of £615 per eligible child. This funding is not payable for children attending a reception class.

Parents can apply for their childcare provider to claim the DAF for their child by filling in the application form. This should then be emailed to us.

For more information about the DAF contact our admissions service.

Personal Budgets

What is it?

A personal budget is an amount of money allocated by the council to deliver all or some of the services and support set out in your/ your child’s Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan.

 What does it do?

It gives you more choice and control over the services that your child gets.

A child or a young person may have a personal budget from:

  • health 
  • social care 
  • education 

Where can I find out more? 

Click here for more information or call 01226 773966 and ask about personal budgets

rating button